session

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Oct 22 10:03:34 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Sergey Manucharyan wrote:
>
>>> i recall that there used to be another shutdown method that didn't
>>> use sudo but didn't work right either on some systems.  i thought it
>>> was removed though.  how old is your copy of the session manager?
>>

>> Yes, in previous session managers there were no "commented out"
>> entries. But even if I run xfce as root now I can't shutdown without
>> sudo. I'm recalling a mechanism with shutdown.allow file. Doesn't it
>> work now?
>> I don't think it's convinient to enter a password for shutting down a
>> regular workstation.

Well, you can configure sudo, so you do not need to enter a password to
execute a certain command.

> benny would know better, but i believe that sudo is the only way to go.

Thats right, sudo is currently the only supported way of shutting down.
But one can write other shutdown modules (I already wrote a shutdown
helper for redhat, but it doesn't work yet, and I have no redhat
workstation to test).

>    -b

Benedikt