Window borders very large

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Oct 11 20:07:42 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 11:42, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    My installation is xfce-4.0.6 on Slackware-10.0 and is viewed on a 17" LCD
> monitor at 1280x1024 pixel resolution.
>
>    Certain applications -- which use their own windows and do not run in a
> virtual terminal -- have very large menu bars. For example, LyX. The text is
> the same size as it used to be under xfce-3.8.18 on a crt monitor running at
> 1024x768 pixel resolution, but the window borders are much wider. I'm
> running the same version of LyX so I suppose this is an xfce issue.
>
>    Is there a command that will make the window borders smaller on
> applications such as LyX, OpenOffice.org, VMware and others?

Are you talking about there being a lot of empty space around all the
text in toolbars, menus, things like that?  If so, that is often a
"feature" of the GTK theme.  This happens a lot to me in Fedora who use
an enormous spacing around *bar and menu items.  I fix it by editing the
theme directly.  Obviously, I have no idea if this is the case for
Slackware, but it might be the problem.

To fix, at least in Fedora, if you use, say, the Bluecurve theme, edit
/usr/share/themes/Bluecurve/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.  In there change all the
xthickness and ythickness to equal 2 (which I like).  Then, in Xfce, you
need to go to the Settings->User Interface dialog and switch to another
theme, then back to Bluecurve so the theme is refreshed.

Like I say, I don't know if this is your issue, but if so, this should
help.  And if anyone on Fedora out there gets annoyed by the huge space
in the Fedora Bluecurve, this is a fix.

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/