Window Decoration Workarounds

Den ís Fernández Cabrera denis at glug.es
Sun Oct 10 01:58:56 CEST 2004

Michal Szymanski dixo:
>> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 13:58 -0400, Jonathan B. Horen wrote:
>
>> xfwm4 does not, and will never, include any mechanism to bypass what the
>> application wants. The application should allow this by using standard
>> hints
>> for Window Managers. Moreover, by doing it in the application, it will
>> work
>> with all WM. Gkrellm2 is a good example of such implementation."
>
>> OK, fair's fair.  So, does anyone know of a replacement for "xclock"
>> (which,
>> sadly, doesn't know about window-manager resources)?
>
> Nice to see I am not the only one unhappy about that feature.
>
> I do not want top start any "religious" discussion here, I am also by any
> means an expert on WMs, hints and related stuff. Still, I would very
> much like to see an explanation (or a pointer to it) why putting the
> decoration (title bar, border) around an app's window, which - correct
> me if I am wrong - is a WM's job, cannot be controlled on WM's side.
> It has been so all those long years since 'twm' early times.
>
> Well, as Jonathan said, fair's fair. If the Author decided so, we have
> to accept it (or stop using it). Trying to adapt, I am trying to
> write a "hinting application". I am mainly using XForms - nice, simple
> environment. It offers a "FL_NOBORDER" option to the routine showing the
> form window. It works with XFce4 but the window created this way becomes
> totally unmanageable - one cannot move it, even raise/lower.
> Unfortunately, the XForms manual warns the user that this is a likely
> behavior. So the question is - how can one have a decoration-less (or,
> at least, title-bar-less) window that could be moved/raised etc.
>
> Last but not least, two more specific questions:
>
> 1. Olivier suggested:
>> "oclock" maybe?
>
> I've tried oclock with all possible options given in its manpage - it
> always gets full decoration (Fedora Core 1, xfce 4.0.4). What is the
> trick then?

No idea. Honestly. It also appears with titlebar for me.

If you want something that needs to stay on top, then you'll have to play
around with Oclock and try and get it borderless. However, if you don't
mind spending the resources needed, and the clock lying on the desktop
(lower layer), then you can have very nice clocks with Gdesklets (and
borderless).

> 2. Similar question for "xbiff" which I have been using for about 15
> years (so I got sort of used to it, you know). When I see my little sweet
> xbiff with the title bar crammed with overlapping buttons, I burst into
> tears :) So I ask the gurus for a xfce-xbiff-plugin - must be a very
> simple job for anybody who knows-how.

I use GKrellM for mail notification. But if I recall correctly, doesn't
XFce4-panel come with a inbox-tray plugin already?

Denís.

#       Denís Fernández Cabrera       #
#  Correo, Jabber:   <denis at glug.es>  #
#  Güeb:    <http://gatonegro.co.nr>  #