Dual X displays - separate font settings possible?

Wed Oct 6 19:12:39 CEST 2004

Hi all,

This is likely not an xfce specific question, but thought that I would
inquire here.

I am running the CVS version of xfce under FC2 on a Dell 5150 laptop,
which has a 15 inch 1600x1200 internal display. The internal video card
is a NVidia 64 mb board and I am using the NVidia driver.

I just began playing around with running dual monitors (the internal lcd
panel plus a second panel connected to the external rgb connector port).

I have edited my xorg.conf to enable either a 'clone' mode or a Xinerama
based mode to test both separately. I am not using the NVidia TwinView
mode.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the display performance is better using the
clone mode, as there is some notable display update performance loss in
Xinerama mode. Both are slower than only running a single display.

In either case, the second display is running at 1280x1024 and the
default application font size, which I have set for the 1600x1200 panel,
is rather large on the lower resolution panel.

Is there any way to specify the font size on the second display,
independent of the first, in either of the dual display modes?

BTW, if anyone knows of a good 17 inch LCD panel that does 1600x1200 I
would love to hear about it. It seems you need to go to at least a 19
inch and generally 20+ to get that resolution in a desktop display.

Thanks for any replies.

Marc