Session manager

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 09:56:46 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:25:41AM +0530, Biju Chacko wrote:
> Steve Cooke wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I use xfce 4.0.6 and have been thinking that I'd like to upgrade to the
> >new 4.2. I have been lurking on the list for quite some time and have on
> >occasion seen mention of a session manager. I have absolutely no idea
> >what a "session manager" is, what it does, nor why you would even need
> >one. There appears to be no such beast in 4.0.6 - or maybe it is hidden,
> >exactly the way it should be. It should be entirely transparent to me as
> >I have no need/desire to know about such things.
> >
> >Could someone please enlighten me - and please tell me that the
> >functionality IS actually hidden.
>
> Hi,
>
> In simple terms, a session manager keeps track of the applications that
> you start so that when you login again it will restore your desktop to
> the state that it was when you last logged off.

Which would be a real pain in the backside if it was the only thing it
could do.  I expect a session manager to be able to save a particular
desktop arrangement and then make that arrangement my default whenever
I start up.  (CDE on which xfce was originally loosely based has a
session manager which works as I describe/expect)

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."