xfdesktop keeps dying

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 27 07:22:18 CET 2004

On 11/26/04 19:10, Bob Snyder wrote:
> I have been using RC1 for a while and I have done something to it that
> makes xfdesktop keep dying. I was playing around with the backdrop
> settings, trying to figure out how to use backdrop lists. I tried
> creating a backdrop list and put several backdrop files into it. It
> didn't seem to work as I expected, but worse, now xfdesktop dies before
> it gets started at startup.
>
> When I start it in a terminal window I get about 14 error messages of
> this form:
>
> /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gtk-xfce-engine/iconrc:13: Unable to locate
> image file in pixmap_path: "stock_color_picker.png"
> /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gtk-xfce-engine/iconrc:19: Unable to locate
> image file in pixmap_path: "stock_dialog_error.png"
> /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gtk-xfce-engine/iconrc:20: Unable to locate
> image file in pixmap_path: "stock_dialog_info.png"

not sure what your problem here is, but this shouldn't make xfdesktop
hang.

> Each error messages has a different "unable to locate image" errors of
> the same form but a different file name. After that I get about a
> zillion of these:
>
> *** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
> *** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice

that's a bug in librsvg.  also unrelated.

> After that it appears to hang up. That is, I don't get a command prompt
> back until I hit <ctl> C.

could you run xfdesktop in gdb, and then, when it appears to lock up, hit
ctrl+c, and then type bt<enter> to get a stack trace from where it's
hanging?  i've seen this in one other situation, but i'd thought it was
fixed for rc1 (maybe even for beta2; i don't recall exactly).  also, you
*are* running 4.2rc1, right?  (or newer CVS)

	-brian