xfdesktop keeps dying

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sat Nov 27 04:10:58 CET 2004

I have been using RC1 for a while and I have done something to it that
makes xfdesktop keep dying. I was playing around with the backdrop
settings, trying to figure out how to use backdrop lists. I tried
creating a backdrop list and put several backdrop files into it. It
didn't seem to work as I expected, but worse, now xfdesktop dies before
it gets started at startup.

When I start it in a terminal window I get about 14 error messages of
this form:

/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gtk-xfce-engine/iconrc:13: Unable to locate
image file in pixmap_path: "stock_color_picker.png"
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gtk-xfce-engine/iconrc:19: Unable to locate
image file in pixmap_path: "stock_dialog_error.png"
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gtk-xfce-engine/iconrc:20: Unable to locate
image file in pixmap_path: "stock_dialog_info.png"

Each error messages has a different "unable to locate image" errors of
the same form but a different file name. After that I get about a
zillion of these:

*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice

After that it appears to hang up. That is, I don't get a command prompt
back until I hit <ctl> C.

In the folder /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gtk-xfce-engine/ I have all (or
most) of the files mentioned in the error messages only spelled differently:

Instead of stock_color_picker.png I have stock_color-picker.png
Instead of stock_dialog_error.png I have stock_dialog-error.png

etc.

I tried to put everything back the way it was, but the problem persists.
Perhaps something got saved in my session.

Thanks for any help,

Bob S.