DSL Start Script

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Wed Nov 24 23:00:54 CET 2004

Thorsten Grothe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm have a pretty new DSL Connetction. To go online I have to:
>
> become root: su root
> start-adsl
>
> to connect to the internet.
>
> To stop  the connection I have to type
>
> stop-adsl.
>
> These are the commands that come with the rp-ppoe driver.
> Does anyone knows a convenient way to do this with an xfce starter or
> another more convenient solution?
>
> Regards Thorsten

This certainly does not answer your question, but it may solve your
problem:

You should think about getting a Cable/DSL router.  Here in the US, I
can get low end Linksys, Dlink, etc routers for $20-$30, or add wireless
on top for $50.  The router then manages the PPPoE connection, and the
PC sees an "always-on" LAN connection.  The routers can typically be
configured to send keep-alives and to automatically reconnect if the
session is dropped.

As an added bonus, you get a NAT-type firewall and can have multiple
devices using your DSL connection.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA