XDM and Xfce4 on NetBSD

Mehul N. Sanghvi mnsanghvi at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 16:59:37 CET 2004

Brent wrote:
> Is it not on your computer, or just not being
> recognized?
>
> For instance, I use tcsh as my shell. When I "install"
> new programs, my shell doesn't only recognize them
> (without writing the full path) until I rehash.
>
> Do a "whereis startxfce4" and see if it's on.
>
> On FreeBSD, it's located at: /usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce4
>
> (by the way, startxfce4 is just a script which
> initiates x much like startx.

Brent,

    It is not on my computer.  I did a 'find . -name "startxf*" ' in the
/usr/pkgsrc/meta-packages/xfce4 directory and it should have found it
in there.  At least I would assume that.  I even did the find in the
/usr/pkgsrc directory.  I get nothing.

     I am using bash as my shell, so unlike csh and tcsh, I don't have
to issue a 'rehash' before newly installed binaries show up in the path.

     From what some of the other emails have mentioned in this thread, it
seems that the NetBSD package has the startxfce4 file in the xfce4-utils
package, which to me does not make sense, but c'est le vie.

cheers,

      mehul