Terminal title in taskbar?

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 13:45:19 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:12:17AM -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 11/18/04 13:03, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 12:50:21PM +0100, Xan wrote:
> > > Command: "bash executa-mldonkey"
> > >                      [X] Run in a terminal
> > >                      [  ] ...
> > >
> > > So I click on this icon and one terminal appears with mldonkey execution. The
> > > title of that terminal that I can see in window is "bash executa-mldonkey",
> > > but in the taskbar the title is only "Terminal".
> > >
> > > I want that in taskbar the title of that terminal was "Terminal: bash
> > > executa-mldonkey" or "bash executa-mldonkey" (I prefer the first).
> > >

> > Hmm, xfterm4 would have to set the 'icon name' I believe (technical term), by
> > using some ansi escape sequences. Anyone know if we could do that?
>
> won't xterm's -name option do that?  granted we'd need to check with the
> other terms we 'support', and figure out if they have something similar...

On Solaris CDE there are two titles, the icon title and the window
title.  If you set '-title xxxx' on the command line when you run an
xterm (or in my case an rxvt) then it just sets the window title.

To set the *icon* title you need to have a '-n xxxx' on the command
line.  Note that this is *not* the same as '-name xxxx' which will
set the X resource name, not likely to be what you want.

There are xterm/rxvt escape sequences to set both Icon Name and window
title:-

    o ESC ] Ps;Pt BEL
        Set XTerm Parameters
         Ps = 0  Change Icon Name and Window Title to Pt
         Ps = 1  Change Icon Name to Pt
         Ps = 2  Change Window Title to Pt
         ... [lots more things one can change]

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence."