Just switched to XFCE -- some newbie-esque questions

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Nov 11 13:20:51 CET 2004

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 09:27 +0100, j.markoll at free.fr wrote:
>
>>Selon Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>:
>>Excuse 2 very newbie-type questions: does it mean that when upgrading to 4.2
>>version the shutdown problem will be fixed instantly whether I modifie the file
>>configuration or not ?
>>Will this redease candidate be already available on Debian testing ftp ?
>>or only direct uploading from Xfce4 site?  :)
>>(No wonder, I am  newbie on computers as well ;)
>

> Basically, Debian included some non released code in their Xfce 4.0.x
> packages.

Yes, Debian includes a very old and very buggy version of xfce4-session
with their Xfce 4.0.x. This version of xfce4-session is mostly
unsupported and was never officially released. Xfce 4.2 includes a
working and fully supported version of xfce4-session; you should really
upgrade. :-)

> As for Debian availability, again, we cannot talk for Debian. But that
> will be available from Xfce site and sf.net, and if I'm not mistaken,
> Os-cillation provides and supports its Xfce packages for Debian.
> (Benny?)

Right, Xfce 4.2RC1 Debian packages will be available by the weekend. See
the official RC1 release notes for details.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

regards,
Benedikt