Just switched to XFCE -- some newbie-esque questions

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Wed Nov 10 20:30:38 CET 2004

'ello,

I've been using Linux of one flavour or another for a couple of years
now and am currently using Debian testing.  I have switched from GNOME
to XFCE (4.0.5) because I find there are more and more things I don't
need in GNOME nowadays and wanted a more minimal DE.  Since I started
using XFCE at the weekend, I have found a number of really cool little
features in it, too.

Anyway, I have a few questions since I have moved; I hope you'll be able
to give me some pointers...

1. How can I toggle a window's ``always on top'' flag?  I tried using
metacity to get around this, but would much rather continue using XFCE's
own window manager :-).

2. I have noticed that os-cillation do a Debian testing version of 4.2
beta, including all sorts of useful utilities (I like the idea of trying
ROX as a file manager, for example).  Does anyone use the os-cillation
distribution of XFCE and, if so, do they know if it will be either
supported after Sarge's release and/or submitted into the next Debian
testing distribution?

3. I also get the inability to shutdown problem, but will follow that
thread for info on how to fix it.

I think that's probably enough questions for now.  I am really enjoying
XFCE so far.  I can keep my bluecurve GTK+ theme yet it is all so much
faster than GNOME :-).

Many thanks for any information you might have!

bye just now, best regards,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>