For a PII - XFCE or XFCE 4.2?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 5 04:03:47 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

>> Did an HD Install of Knoppix 3.6 to an HP Vectra VL (PII 266, 64 megs
                                                             ^^^

> how fast is your PII?  i've run 4.1 during the dev cycle on a PII 266MHz,
> and it worked beautifully.  i don't have the machine anymore (it was my
> work box at my old job), but i don't think any appreciable amount of
> "overhead" has been added in the past 3 months.

   I've run xfce on everything from plain ol' pentiums to the athlon xp
3200+. Since it's so much lighter and faster than either KDE or Gnome I've
never noticed a problem that I could ascribe to xfce and not the slow box
with limited RAM.

   I've got xfce-4.0 running on my Toshiba Portege; a 300MHz Pentium-MMX
which I upgraded from 64M RAM to the maximum of 96M. Runs just fine.

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)