XFCE memory usage: a simpler test

Ylosar Goer ylosar.goer at free.fr
Tue May 25 23:24:35 CEST 2004

purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> thanx to OF BT ET AL for their intelligent comments on the Gentoo thread:
> i forwarded it for interest & -- as BT concludes -- it is practically useful.
> <snip>

I think that knowing how much RAM an Environment eat at startup may be
of interrest if the amount of RAM at your disposal is severely
restricted. But startup and initial usage are not everything.

When you are limited in RAM, i mean really limited like when you take
care of how many xterms you already opened (the next one will make the
OS swap...), the way your Environment process the display of a simple
menu could be critical. Simply consider the display of a menu. If that
menu contains icons (i don't even talk about transparency nor droped
shadows...), displaying it involves more hardware resources (which then
cannot be used by something else at that moment) than if it did not
contains icons. Icons have to be read from disk, so they reduce the
efficiency of the disk buffers (by discarding more usefull data) and
consequently will reduce the global reactivity of your system to your
next action (launching an xterm!) and take other resources to be
rendered on screen.

This 'icon' point is only an example but i think it's a good
illustration of what can lead an Environment to the 'bloated' category
when RAM (or CPU cycles) become precious.

But, this is obviously not the only factor that make (if it does) an
Environment bloated or lightweight. The difference between the two may
be in *how* that Environment uses its resources (initialy acquired or
not). One Environment that takes 20MB at one moment may easyly be much
more efficient than an other one that takes only 10MB of RAM to process
the same fonctionalities, depending on how it has been designed _and_
coded. Imagine forgotten loops, debug statements, verbose logs or
uncatched exceptions that may slow down every single things you do...
who knows.

So, in my opinion, numbers, and especially those ones are not very
usefull to classify Environments, even in the original post perspective.

Oh, and i'm sure i'm forgotting many things like having a gtk
Environment while using qt apps (or the opposite) that may 'bloat' a
'lightweight' Environment.

--
yP