upgrade screw up

Christopher christopher.carroll at birch.net
Sat May 22 23:34:44 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 15:08, Terence Golightly wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Awhile back I upgraded XFCE4.0.4 to XFCE4.0.5 using Charles Eslarhc's
> site set up using urpmi. Unfortunately, in my haste forgot that the old
> version was one I installed using CVS.  I know get the following error
> message:
>
> [root at tbox root]# ldconfig
> ldconfig: /usr/lib/libdbh-1.0.so.1 is not a symbolic link
>
> This is probably a simple fix, i.e. set up a symbolic link for the above
> file run ldconfig again, but I don't know what the name of the symbolic
> link should be.  I googled, but am uncertain which file name to use that
> for the above library file.

[snip]

Take a look at /usr/lib/libdbh.la (it is a text file).  One of the
fields should be library_names=' ... '
which is a list of the libdbh shared libraries.  Only one of those
should be a normal file, the others should be symlinks to it.  The one
with the most suffixes should be the real one (probably
libdbh-1.0.so.1.0.0) - make sure you actually have it.  I guess one of
the ones that should be a symlink is actually a normal file.  So due to
a bad install or uninstall your libdbh.la file is inconsistent with
what's on your system (a good reason to install from source).

If you do indeed have the correct library, instead of just removing the
offending file and symlinking it I would uninstall and reinstall
whatever rpm provides libdbh.  And after uninstalling make sure all of
the libdbh files have been removed.  If after reinstalling its still in
the same state - then manually symlink it.

I'm no libtool expert, so I could be wrong about all this - but that's
where I would start looking.

Good luck.