windows switching

Sami Samhuri sami at no-eff-eks.com
Tue May 18 18:55:08 CEST 2004

* It was Wed, May 19, 2004 at 01:40:19AM +1000 when Thomas Henry Sutton said:
<snip>

> Also, the use of pretty thumb nailing, etc for window switching doesn't
> mean that it is any more "intuitive" [read: works the way the writer
> expects]. Just look at the behaviour of Windows XP. The XP boxen I
> avoid^H^H^H^H^Huse at school do awful things when you alt-tab (the
> stupid thumbnail thing pops up and goes away and you get to wait for
> the redraw, etc), and all for the sake of some useless eye-candy.
>
> Overall: were I to be asked to express an opinion either way, I would
> have to "vote" against this sort of "feature".

Er, right now in xfce a box pops up but instead of glancing quickly and
knowing what app you are switching too, you have to look close and read
each title or try and guess from the window border outline. If there
were icons, you could glance at it and know what app you were switching
to. A bigger font for the title isn't a bad idea either. This isn't any
more eye-candy than icons on the panel are.

(If you only use 27 xterms and this feature doesn't help you out, then
good for you I'm happy you don't need it. Others would really like to
see it implemented.)

As for the patch missing from this post, when I first installed xfce4 I
looked around a bit and then realized I had no knowledge of programming
with GTK or anything. I've since read a bit about GTK and have a book
about programming with C on Linux specifically so sometime in the future
if no one else writes one, I will eventually be doing it.

--
Sami Samhuri