Command won't execute in launcher

Jack Kern jack_kern at operamail.com
Tue May 18 05:06:18 CEST 2004

Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

>That's it -
>
>xterm -e 'command first "second with spaces"'
>
>It works.
>
>Now, is the first format supposed to work:
>
>command first "second with spaces"

Yes. However, I can't comment on the program you are using regarding how
it parses the command line.  If  it is a script or other program waiting
for a Ctrl-C, your "first format" (command first "second with spaces")
should work as the "Command:" in the launcher specification with "Run in
terminal" selected -- just like it would if you run the command in an xterm.

For example, the (useless) example myproggy script below sleeps until I
do a Ctrl-C:

jkern at boat:~$ cat $HOME/bin/myproggy
#!/bin/sh

ls -l
sleep 5
. $0

If I put "myproggy" as the launcher "Command:" and check the "Run in
terminal" box, an xterm will open when I click the launcher on the
panel; when I do a Ctrl-C, the script quits and the xterm closes.  I
believe this how it is supposed to work.

The launcher apparently runs xfterm4.  Although I took a look at it, I
am not able to assess how xfterm4 parses the command line or how it
might affect your particular program.