Considering workspace margins (was Re: Mozilla window startup position)

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue May 11 16:38:59 CEST 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Andrew Conkling wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 14:07 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> >
> > I'm afraid not. This is a (very, very) longstanding mozilla bug. Rumour
> > has it that it is fixed in mozilla CVS, so that would be nice.
>
> Really?  I've had numerous programs (of course, I can't think of them
> now) that open up over the programs that I have outside my margins
> (XMMS, Gkrellm, and the XFCE panel); they're not supposed to do that?

that depends.  if the app requests a specific location, xfwm4 will grant
the request, even if the position is outside the workspace margins.
xmms, gkrellm, and the xfce panel all 'remember' where they were last
placed and request that position again on startup.  this is a Good
Thing[tm], as often the point of the workspace margins is to block off
some space so your panel, gkrellm monitors, etc., are always visible.

the mozilla/firefox/thunderbird bug (gtk2 only, for some reason) is that
it fails to either a) remember correctly the last position, or b) load
correctly the last position, and instead requests (0,0).  i personally
argued for removing the behavior of remembering last position entirely,
and i believe that's what's been done, as i think the current patch
essentially disables setting the window's position in most
circumstances.

	-brian