[OT] Lunar vs. Gentoo

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Thu May 6 21:59:35 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 09:39, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2004, Chuck Mead wrote:
>
> > Sorry I have not responded but I really have not time for an in depth
> > explanation. My recommendation is to jump on irc.freenode.net in the
> > lunar channel and ask the folks there your questions.
> >
> > As far as my allusion to speed goes lunar was built, on purpose, to go
> > fast (and it does). It is also easier to install than Gentoo and this
> > has been said by every Gentoo user who has converted.
>
> i'll just start by saying i'm a gentoo user, and i have no experience
> with lunar (yet), other than nestu nagging me to give it a try.  i've
> been using gentoo for almost two years now.  i originally installed
> gentoo 1.2, which was based on gcc 2.95.  sometime later, my main HD
> started dying, and i lost most of / and /usr (not /home, thankfully).  i
> installed gentoo 1.4rc2, which was based on gcc 3.2.  this was probably
> late summer, 2002.  i haven't reinstalled since.

devil's advocate or outsider viewpoint or whatever, but this is frankly
the case with a lot of distributions now, not just source-based ones.
Mandrake is there, Debian has always been there. What you're seeing is
the effect of decent dependency management, which has nothing to do with
the type of package or build-script being installed.

> (on a side note, my favourite benefit of a source-based system is
> defintely the package management and dependency resolution.)

I've got these benefits with urpmi though, and I don't have to wait for
packages to compile. To me, the benefit of a few percentage points speed
increase is firmly outweighed by the drawbacks of local package
compilation. The additional drawback of not being able to do rpm -V is a
killer for source-based; I'd have to install and configure tripwire or
aide to get that functionality back, which is not a trivial undertaking.

just my two cents.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...