[OT] Lunar vs. Gentoo

Christopher christopher.carroll at birch.net
Thu May 6 11:47:04 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 10:30, Bradee-oh! wrote:
> I'm a gentoo user, and it goes PLENTY fast for me.  I'm sure lunar is
> similarly fast, but when it comes down to the processes running on my
> machine at any given time, I'm sure the list of processes on my gentoo
> box would be very similar to the processes running on a lunar box and if
> they were all compiled with the most aggresive optimizations I feel
> comfortable with, how could the speed of lunar be improved over the
> speed of gentoo?

For what its worth - if you compile everything with the most aggressive
optimizations, your system will certainly NOT be as fast as it could
be.  A lot of programs will run slower.  If you're going to optimize you
really have to test each program individually to find out what's best
for it.  Blind agressive optimization would probably produce a system
slower than a standard distro built for a 686.