[OT] Lunar vs. Gentoo

Andy Choens dru at worldskip.com
Thu May 6 18:34:18 CEST 2004

As for this debate about installation instructions.  I bounced around
the website and found the downloads.  Could someone point the less
intelligent of us to the installation instructions so we could decide
for ourselves whether or not we would like to try lunar?  I'm running
fedora core 1 right now, but would be interested in using a distro
closely connected to xfce.  But, I can't find enough info to decide if
it's worth it for me personally.  I've got a comuter to stick it
on........

--andy

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 11:30, Bradee-oh! wrote:

> I'm a gentoo user, and it goes PLENTY fast for me.  I'm sure lunar is
> similarly fast, but when it comes down to the processes running on my
> machine at any given time, I'm sure the list of processes on my gentoo
> box would be very similar to the processes running on a lunar box and if
> they were all compiled with the most aggresive optimizations I feel
> comfortable with, how could the speed of lunar be improved over the
> speed of gentoo?
>
> As for the ease of installation - yes, gentoo requires a little
> technical know how compared to most average distros and therefore is
> automatically inaccessible to some people.  I don't know in what way
> lunar is easier, but as long as it's not HARDER, then there's no strike
> against it in my book.  However, I am a technically-minded guy with lots
> of computer experience so the "difficulty" in installing gentoo hasn't
> ever bothered me.
>
> But without even researching into lunar very much, here's why I'll stick
> with gentoo on my primary boxen for the forseeable future - whereas I
> started using gentoo years ago and it is widely known and accepted as a
> very established distro with a quickly growing user base and its future
> support is not in doubt because of its high profile and popularity and
> the commitment of the developers involved and the portage system is very
> mature and ebuilds are constantly updated and debugged by a large base
> of developers...
>
> I hadn't even heard of lunar-linux until a few days ago.  It seems to be
> "one of those OTHER" distros.  And I've had plenty of bad experiences
> with "those other distros" in the past.
>
> All that may just be my own biased perceptions controlling my opinion,
> but that's just how it is.
>
> All of that said, I'm still very curious about Lunar.  The next time I'm
> experimenting with a new box, I'll definitely install it first and if it
> "behaves", depending on what the box is for, I'll start to let it win my
> heart over.  ;)
>
> -Brady Eidson
>

> > Sorry I have not responded but I really have not time for an in depth
> > explanation. My recommendation is to jump on irc.freenode.net in the
> > lunar channel and ask the folks there your questions.
> >
> > As far as my allusion to speed goes lunar was built, on purpose, to go
> > fast (and it does). It is also easier to install than Gentoo and this
> > has been said by every Gentoo user who has converted.

Om Mani Padme Hume
        --Traditional Tibetan Blessing