Backdrop list

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun May 2 19:21:18 CEST 2004

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
>> yah, so after looking this over, it occurs to me that there's no way
>> for the settings panel to know which backdrop is selected.
>
> One easy solution, some might call it a hack (helo benny ;-), is to
> set an X root property XFDESKTOP_IMAGE_FILE_<screen>. Not verry
> pretty, but it should work. Could be a property on the xfdesktop
> window too.

hmmmm yeah, that's kinda hacky (though less hacky than dumping it in a
file).  *sigh*  i hate doing things like that.  i'd really rather
redesign the problematic part of xfdesktop, but nothing brilliant comes
to mind.  it's really xfce-mcs-manager's fault, and assuming we have a
new settings manager for 4.4 (/me pokes benny), it wouldn't need to be
too much of a long-lived hack, so i guess i'll just stop whining and
implement it (later, stuff to do now).

i'd like to just stick the property on the screen's (real) root window
(without a screen number suffix), but then i'm not sure if that would
work properly with xinerama (xinerama may only give one root window to
all screens, and even if it doesn't, i don't think there's a method to
get the per-screen root win).  sticking it on the fullscreen virtual
root win makes sense, but there's no one-step way of getting the XID of
that window for the settings manager to use.  so it looks like a root
property, suffixed by the screen number, will have to do.

    -brian