ArchLinux + XFCE

Shahar Weiss sweiss4 at gmx.net
Mon Mar 29 22:16:57 CEST 2004

Definately an incredible distribution, have been using it for about a
month now. Running XFCE on it and enjoying every moment :) I find it to
be a lot better than debian, even though my debian experience is pretty
limited. I like pacman (Arch's package manager) a lot more than apt,
it's also built better I think because with debian you have apt-get and
dpkg, which I heard can cause some trouble if you try to use both. I
think I can describe it as an i686 Slackware-like (simplicity-wise)
distribution with a good package manager and a build system. Making your
own packages is a breeze, for example. Good dependency support, great
community. Also from my limited debian experienced debian used to break
a lot. Arch hardly breaks package wise and even if it does break,
there's either a workaround posted on the website or it's very simple to
resolve it.

I think this is the end of my distro shuffle.

Shahar.