Workspace problem

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Thu Mar 25 21:16:58 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 07:03, James wrote:

> Here is the contents of my workspaces.xml
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE mcs-option SYSTEM "mcs-option.dtd">
> <mcs-option>
> <option name="Xfwm/WorkspaceCount" type="int"
> value="5"/>
> <option name="names" type="string"
> value="1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;
> 14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22"/>
> </mcs-option>
>
> and after restarting, via startx which my
> .Xclients-default says startxfce4. I am somehow
> getting some sort of system default setting that wont
> change? I see the value=5 above but still only four.
> Shouldnt the workspaces increase instantly when
> changing the value thru the settings tool?
>
> James

Ok - seems that there are a few too many listed - so you can change the:

<option name="count" type="int" value="5"/>

to something like

<option name="count" type="int" value="6"/>

...and where is lists:
<option name="names" type="string" value="1;2;3;4;5;6(and on)"/>

just change that to:

<option name="names" type="string" value="1;2;3;4;5;6"/>

...save the file, restart XFCE4 - it would appear that the
workspaces.xml is slightly mucked up - where the value="5" does not
equal the "names" value which shows 22 workspaces...

Make sense?

stephen kuhn - owner
==============================
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
... an anecdote from IBM's Yorktown Heights Research Center. When a
programmer used his new computer terminal, all was fine when he was
sitting down, but he couldn't log in to the system when he was standing
up. That behavior was 100 percent repeatable: he could always log in
when sitting and never when standing. Most of us just sit back and
marvel at such a story; how could that terminal know whether the poor
guy was sitting or standing? Good debuggers, though, know that there has
to be a reason. Electrical theories are the easiest to hypothesize: was
there a loose with under the carpet, or problems with static
electricity? But electrical problems are rarely consistently
reproducible. An alert IBMer finally noticed that the problem was in the
terminal's keyboard: the tops of two keys were switched. When the
programmer was seated he was a touch typist and the problem went
unnoticed, but when he stood he was led astray by hunting and pecking.
-- "Programming Pearls" column, by Jon Bentley in CACM February 1985