xfce 4 and kde apps

Peter Hyman pete4abw at comcast.net
Thu Mar 25 13:35:34 CET 2004

I found KDE apps run fine -- even those that use the system tray
(kopete, kgpg, for example). I suggest a few tweaks that could be added
to the ~/.xfce4/xinitrc file

1) if your KDEHOME directory is anything other than ~/.kde, then add
KDEHOME=~/.mykde directory
2) if you will be compiling or building KDE or if you have different
versions of KDE or it is in a non-standard location, then add
KDEDIR=kde base dir
QTDIR=qt's base dir
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin[:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH]
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export [KDEHOME] KDEDIR QTDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

near the head of ~/.xfce4/xinitrc

3) KDE needs to be shut down along with xfce4. I add the following two
lines to the end of ~/.xfce4/xinitrc
#kill KDE

dcopserver_shutdown
artsshell -q terminate