Why not making XFrun a daemon?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at echobase.homeunix.net
Mon Mar 15 21:21:38 CET 2004

Shahar Weiss wrote:
> Hello. I've been using XFCE for a while, and I make a very extensive use
> of XFrun to launch applications. However, whenever I type Alt+F2 it
> takes an annoying 2 seconds for the prompt to show up, and I'm guessing
> the reason is due to the fact XFrun is a single application which is ran
> whenever you use Alt+F2.
>
> Turning it into a daemon would make it faster I think, and since it's
> pretty small I couldn't find a reason for not turning it into a daemon.
>
> So... why not? :)

Having xfrun being a daemon brings up the question how to talk to that daemon
(IPC) ? xfrun will most probably become a daemon when we port Xfce to D-BUS,
but until then, it will be a simple app.

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/
pkgsrc "Work in progress":                  http://pkgsrc-wip.sf.net/