GTK1 Themes

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 11 07:14:46 CET 2004

Andrew Conkling wrote:

>I recently got my GTK2 working (thanks to some help here and from
>gnomesupport.org).  Now that I've changed my themes successfully, I
>can't seem to figure out how to change my GTK1 themes.  In programs
>linked to it (namely XMMS's config windows), the theme has reverted to a
>really bad one.  I realised the theme I'm currently using (g5-ish from
>freshmeat.net) doesn't have a gtk/ folder (just a gtk-2.0/ one), so I
>added a gtk/ folder from another theme (galaxy, also available on
>freshmeat).  This worked in Gnome, but not in XFCE.
>
>Can anyone shed some light on how to make this change?

gnome2 is set up to attempt to set a reasonably-similar gtk1.2 theme
when you change your gtk2 theme.  xfce does not do this (yet).  for now
what you can do is open up your ~/.gtkrc and put in it

include "/path/to/theme/gtkrc"

you'll need to restart any gtk1.2 apps to make the change.
alternatively, if you have the old 'gnomecc' app around from gnome1.4,
you can change the theme via that.

    -brian