Themes

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 5 16:29:24 CET 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> 040304 Andrew wrote:
> >> sorry, but what is  $PREFIX ?
> > The only thing to be sorry about is I can't give you a better definition.
> > It's a variable, indicated by the $ and caps.  This was is something
> > like 'where your programs will be installed', it being a variable
> > so that all your programs know to put themselves there.
> > Mine is /usr/, AFAIK (Mandrake 9.2).
>
> oh yes ok, i know that fr installing non-std pkgs.
> however here on Gentoo, there's no such thing as a std loc'n:
> pkgs are installed wherever the e-build says to,
> so most go into  /usr , but some go in  /opt  & eg KDE into  /usr/kde ;
> anything i install not fr Gentoo i put in  /usr/local .
>
> this was re themes, so does  $PREFIX  have any more precise df'n there ?
> the biggest problem i have w themes -- like fonts -- is where to find them.

$prefix isn't really a standard location.  it's app-specific in that
it's set at compile time (./configure --prefix=...).  most distros use
--prefix=/usr for "normal" apps.  other apps, like mozilla, openoffice,
netscape, java, either proprietary or free apps with non-standard
directory structures, get put in /opt in general (this is how gentoo
does it - /usr for most stuff, /opt for weird stuff).  apps that are
required on system boot (modutils, etc.) get a prefix of /.  some
distros (slackware comes to mind, iirc), use /usr/local (which annoys
me to no end).

	-brian