Terminals

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 1 16:52:27 CET 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Julien Graglia wrote:

> In fact i just switch from Windows to Linux : DOS console can be
> configured the way i need : dont wrap horizontally+horiz scrollbar;  and
> i just can't imagine that the Linux console (which is much more advanced
> coz u can do everything from it:completion, color, background,
> transparency...fancy options..) can do the same. I do man / google /
> news / ask friends ... none knows how to do that..

that's actually a separate issue - the completion and color is a
function of the shell itself (bash, tcsh, etc.), and the
background/transparency/scrollbars are a function of the implementation
of the terminal emulator (xterm, gnome-terminal, etc.).

> may be it is not in linux philosophy...

that actually sounds like it could be the case.  i have _never_ seen a
linux/unix terminal emulator app that has horizontal scrolling
capability.  and i've never thought of the possible need for one until
you mention it now.  personally, i wouldn't need such a thing - when i'm
interacting with a terminal, i want to see all output without having to
touch a thing.  the only thing i want to use the mouse for is selecting
text to be copied (or pasting).

	-brian