mplayer/xfce4 problems

Mark Houlder mark.houlder at ot-t.com
Mon Mar 1 12:31:55 CET 2004

over the weekend i wanted to show my dad the new Troy trailer using
Mplayer on XFCE4, but couldn;t get it to run no matter what i tried;
mplayer wouldn't even start, and although gmplayer starts when i try to
view a film, it also crashes. i tried the same under fluxbox and it
worked fine - is it likely to be a problem with my setup or are there
known issues with XFCE4?

here's the error lines from mplayer:

VDec: vo config request - 480 x 260 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [xv] 480x260 => 480x260 Planar YV12
X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: flip_page
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We
can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a
possible bug.
SoundConverterEndConversion:0
SoundConverterClose:0
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x5c)!

i initially thought it would be a fault in mplayer, but like i said, it
was fine under fluxbox. i'm using the latest xfce ebuilds from gentoo
(mostly 4.0.3), and haven't had any problems elsewhere. i'm not running
anything else with xfce that i'm not running with fluxbox, but i used it
fine up until saturday with no problems so it's a bit strange. my
machine is also fairly well spec'd so it's not a general resource issue
(1.7Ghz pentium-M w/ 512 RAM)

any ideas?

mark

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)