Xinerama + Virtual Desktops

Philip Scott philip.scott10 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 16 18:07:12 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Paul Bohme wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:33:00 -0400
>>Scott Rubin <slr2777 at cs.rit.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>I already know that in CVS xinerama support is much improved, but as I
>>>don't like to do anything that will mess up portage (gentoo user) I
>>>don't use it yet.
>>
>>There's always the possibility of creating an ebuild to pull cvs sources
>>and build them.  That's living life a bit on the edge, but ... ;-)
>

> why duplicate the effort?  http://dev.gentoo.org/~bcowan/xfce-cvs/
> remember to unmerge _all_ the non-cvs xfce packages first.  i don't
> believe the cvs ebuilds are blocked by them, but Weird Things[tm] will
> definitely happen if you try to install both stable and cvs into the
> same prefix.
>
> just as a general note: these ebuilds are obviously not supported by
> gentoo, so don't file any bugs related to them on gentoo's bugzilla.
> also, if you have build problems using these, don't bug the other xfce
> devs; please take your problems to either bcowan or me.  if you're going
> to post to the ml, please at least state that you're using "bcowan's
> xfce-cvs ebuilds" or similar.
>
> and be sure to thank bcowan for taking the time to put all those
> together ^_^.
>
> 	-brian

Aww, wish I'd known about that before I started some practically from
scratch with the ones in this thread..
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1187752#1187752. How long have
those been around?
Oh well, I suppose at least it made me learn some more about
shell/ebuild scripting.. Although mine do seem to be slightly more up to
date (I have Xfce4-appfinder in mine). And yes, installing the CVS over
the top of standard is a Bad Thing™ so mine mark the standard ones as
blockers.