Workspaces in a matrix.

Josh Howard jrh at zeppelin.net
Mon Jun 14 20:59:16 CEST 2004

Vebjorn Ljosa <ljosa-lists-xfce at ljosa.com> writes:

> * "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
> |
> | on the other hand, the linear layout is easier to
> | keep track of - and also easier to remember where you are, as you only
> | have to remember one dimension.
>
> Another good thing about the linear layout is that there is an obviour
> mapping between the workspaces and the keys for switching to them:
> C-F1 switches to workspace 1, C-F2 switches to workspace 2, and so on.

Well, in fvwm2 I use them in a 3x3 grid and use the C-F<num> to
switch between them just the same. F1-F3 is the first row, F4-6 the
second, etc. I find that these two things aren't mutually
exclusive as each desktop has a name or number no matter how they're
laid out.
It's mostly force of habit to mouse down still if my hand happens to
be on the mouse at the time, to switch to an adjacent virtual
desktop, or I use the keyboard if I'm not using the mouse. I like a
lot of keyboard control, but sometimes it's just a little more
convenient to use the mouse.
I think that the virtual desktops should be able to be laid out at
the user's discretion... so, you could do for instance, 1x9, 2x9,
4x5, etc. Whatever the user's heart desires. I suppose there's no
reason to support ones that're like 3x3 with the middle desktop
missing, but aside from that, being able to lay the desktops out how
you want would sure be handy for me and probably some other virtual
desktop users who generally have them laid out in such a fashion.

--
Josh Howard <jrh at zeppelin.net>