Workspaces in a matrix.

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 14 15:58:35 CEST 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Marv Boyes wrote:

> For what it's worth (and it seems that this is what Josh might be
> suggesting), I would personally like to see the linear layout remain an
> option even if the matrix layout is implemented. I tend to keep my panel
> small, and I use the feature for dragging-and-dropping windows from one
> desktop to another an awful lot (this, to me, is one of Xfce's most
> clever features). The graphical pager in a matrix layout, while a
> space-saver, would be extremely small in my panel.

i like how enlightenment did it - the settings panel shows you what
you've got, and there's a slider on the left and on the top.  you can
slide either one away from the top left corner to get more workspaces in
that dimension, closer to get fewer.  obviously if you like the linear
layout, you pop the left slider all the way to the top so you have one
row, and then pull out the top slider until you get to the number you
want.

problem with that is it limits the number of workspaces you can have.
so perhaps just replace the sliders with spinbuttons, and you can
specify the rows and columns.

personally, i never used virtual desktops for years, and finally started
a little after i began using xfce.  i like the linear layout, but 2D
layout would probably be easier to navigate (esp. via alt+ctrl+up/+down)
as you have more desktops (i have 8 now, and a 3x3 square would be
easier to manage).  on the other hand, the linear layout is easier to
keep track of - and also easier to remember where you are, as you only
have to remember one dimension.  still, though, a 2D layout is something
i'd be in favour of seeing.

	-brian