Features wishlist for xfce 4.1

Gerald Barre g.barre at free.fr
Fri Jun 4 16:31:33 CEST 2004

Le Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:59:48 +0200
Olivier <fourdan at xfce.org> s'exprimait:

> Quite frankly, I'm really against putting all existing or imaginable
> feature in a given software (whatever software that may be).
>
> X-Window gives you lot of flexibility, one being the ability to use
> the window manager you like.
>
> Why on earth would you want to make xfce (or xfwm4 in that matter)
> look or behave like X or Y while you can so simply use X or Y instead?

I don't care about tabs, I began to use XFCE with the 3.8 release and
I'm still using it and if I was looking for tabs I'd use something else.

> In other words, trying to put anything and everything into a single
> program is just about crazy, and yes, I'm strongly against this in
> xfce.

I agree with you, I don't want XFCE to be another gnome or Kde
and if people don't like XFCE they have  the choice to look elsewhere.

> People usually like xfce because it's simpler, easier, faster, etc. If
> we do implement any feature newcomers want, we'll miss our goal.
>
> That said, I'm not against any change, or any feature, for example,
> the alt+tab dialog now shows the icons of the apps and the application
> class is shows in bold (see attachement) - People have been asking for
> that for a while, and I've finally been convined that this feature was
> indeed useful.
>
> I hope that (peacefully) makes things clear,

To make it clear I disagree with this iniative of petition and I just
wanted to know what do you think about.(not tabs but petition)