Features wishlist for xfce 4.1

Olivier fourdan at xfce.org
Fri Jun 4 15:59:48 CEST 2004

Hi

> What do you think (I mean XFCE developpers) of behaviors such
> like this one (petition for tabs) ?
> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.x/2004-03/0009.html

Quite frankly, I'm really against putting all existing or imaginable
feature in a given software (whatever software that may be).

X-Window gives you lot of flexibility, one being the ability to use the
window manager you like.

Why on earth would you want to make xfce (or xfwm4 in that matter) look
or behave like X or Y while you can so simply use X or Y instead?

In other words, trying to put anything and everything into a single
program is just about crazy, and yes, I'm strongly against this in xfce.

People usually like xfce because it's simpler, easier, faster, etc. If
we do implement any feature newcomers want, we'll miss our goal.

That said, I'm not against any change, or any feature, for example, the
alt+tab dialog now shows the icons of the apps and the application class
is shows in bold (see attachement) - People have been asking for that
for a while, and I've finally been convined that this feature was indeed
useful.

I hope that (peacefully) makes things clear,
Cheers,
Olivier.
--
 - Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org - http://www.xfce.org -