Features wishlist for xfce 4.1

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Thu Jun 3 21:50:43 CEST 2004

Xan wrote:
> And related to topic, I only said that (sorry if I can't express as I want)
> the team of project have to treat the enhancement of the application in a
> more important way. Open source community tends to think that a bug is a very
> important thing and an enhancement isn't.
>
> I'm in agree that the bugs (specially security bugs) are very important
> things. But the enhancements are very important too.
>
> For the final user (tipically desktop user) could be so important an
> enhancement than a bug. But the open source community thinks different.
>
> If we not provide a periodic new enhanced versions, where is the innovation of
> applications?. And if we only provide the geek enhancements in release, where
> is the user's requests?. I view this as a person who makes a house.
> Obviously, that person has to build the house for it doesn't felt (the house
> has to be consistent, robust), but has to ear the people who will live in and
> has to build it as people want.

You analogy does not work here because you are not paying open source
developers to write software for you like you would be paying someone
to build a house for you.  The OS developers have no responsibility at
all to pay any attention to your enhancement requests.  The fact that
some (many?) do is a testament to their general good will and pride in
their work.  Accept it as such and be careful not to imply that they
are somehow inferior for not catering to your desires.  Otherwise,
pay them to do what you want.

> Do you know what I want to say?
> I'm very sad if you think that it's a stupid thing.

I think what you are trying to say is clear.  I wouldn't call it stupid;
maybe misdirected or possibly selfish, but not stupid.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA