OT: Any suggestions for good gtk-based file managers?

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 2 09:53:59 CEST 2004

040601 Marv Boyes wrote:
> Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

your specs ruled out the one i would have recommended for a try, but ...

> I checked out ROX -- while it's impressive (the icons alone are a treat),
> it's a bit daunting for a "hardcore" Konqueror user.
> All things considered, I'll probably be sticking with Konq for now
> for most of my file management needs -- I have a hard time
> without split panes, cut/copy/paste, and outright deletion
> from the right-click menu (rather than Nautilus' send-to-trash).
> Konq certainly suffers from featuritis, but I can live with that.

... if you're willing to use Qt apps -- i have no problem w them -- ,
let me recommend Krusader, which i found best all-round for file-mgmt
when Xffm or -- my usual preference -- CLI are not appropriate;
don't overlook the excellent Krename add-on for mass-renaming of files.

> Ironically, I'm back to using Nautilus,
> having discovered that the  --no-desktop  option will prevent it
> from trashing my Xfce desktop; when all else fails, RTFM! ;)

that's really worth knowing !
i had a look at Nautilus, but rejected it for that very reason.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca