Aterm and transparency

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 1 07:43:01 CEST 2004

Jack Coates wrote:

>Net Llama should have been clearer. That's all that anything working on
>top of XFree86 can do, as it doesn't do transparency. X.Org's X server
>does, and many Linux distributions are moving to it, but few support it
>right now.

no no no no no noooo.  x.org's X server is almost identical to xfree86
4.4.0.  you're probably thinking of kdrive, also known as the
freedesktop.org X server.  kdrive can do true transparency, x.org and
xfree86 cannot.  at some point in the future, the extensions that allow
true transparency may be ported to the x.org server, but until then...

><RANT>Talk about an ill-considered piece of eye-candy. And yes, I do have
>an OSX PowerBook as well, though it is my least-favorite computer. True
>transparency rapidly leads to text in another page being visible through
>the text you're reading, which makes it hard to read.</RANT>

i can't help but agree.  i can't stand semi-transparent apps.

    -brian