Turn xfce off

Frank frank at snapafun.co.nz
Tue Jul 27 10:07:39 CEST 2004

------------------------------

>Message: 3
>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 07:39:40 -0700
>From: Ken Moffat <kmoffat at drizzle.com>
>Subject: Re: Turn xfce off
>To: XFCE general discussion list <xfce at xfce.org>
>
>Frank wrote:
>

>>OK. I downloaded and installed xfce, exited the kde session and issued
>>startxfce4 and quite enjoyed what I saw.
>>
>>However, when I left that session and loged in again to kde, I got
>>xfce sitting on top of it.
>>
>>I don't mind really, but find it is sometimes in the way while I try
>>to get things done and while I'm still RTFM for xfce, I would like to
>>reboot my system and see only kde there for now.
>>
>>I didn't config anything so ask what it is I need to 'undo' for now. [
>>NO! I do not want to uninstall xfce.]
>>

>Maybe the kde sessions is remembering xfce, so you could run "ps -e |
>less" in an xterm and find all the xfce4 related stuff and "kill pid"
>(pid being process ID) to kill the processes, then exit kde. Probably
>when you restart kde it will be ok. Either that or perhaps xfce
>installed an .xinitrc file in your home directory. Do other users on
>that machine have the same problem?

Thanks for the info Ken.  While awaiting a reply here, I saved
everything and cleared the deck. I then went into the session control
and chose to start afresh. Logged out and in again - didn't work - but
shutting down and re-starting seems to have cured the problem. Right,
now to RTFM and get back to Xfce - I do like what I've seen.

Frank