Turn xfce off

Tobias Kretschmer tobias.kretschmer at epost.de
Mon Jul 26 16:47:19 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:59:20 +1200
Frank <frank at snapafun.co.nz> wrote:

> OK. I downloaded and installed xfce, exited the kde session and
> issued startxfce4 and quite enjoyed what I saw.
>
> However, when I left that session and loged in again to kde, I got
> xfce sitting on top of it.
>
> I don't mind really, but find it is sometimes in the way while I
> try to get things done and while I'm still RTFM for xfce, I would
> like to reboot my system and see only kde there for now.
>
> I didn't config anything so ask what it is I need to 'undo' for
> now. [ NO! I do not want to uninstall xfce.]

You didn't cofnigure anything, but the startxfce4 script did.
Take a look into your home-directory, ther should be a file name
.xsession (with a dot at the beginning). Open that on with an editor
of choice and comment the lines referring to XFce out, that means
puttin a hash (#) at the start of the line, if there are lines
referring to kde do the opposite, uncomment them.
I'm not sure but ther might als be backup version of the .xsession
file created by startxfce4, you should check for that. If so do
cp .xsession .xsession.xfce
cp .xsession[something] .xsession
after that KDE should start up fine again.

Anyway, what login manager are you using? I suspect kdm, you should
be abel to configure it to let you chosse which wm to use, but my
knowledge of KDE is pretty limited.

Hope that helps

Tobias