Modifications to Xfce - pointers please.

Olivier fourdan at xfce.org
Sun Jul 18 18:33:09 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 19:09, andy wrote:
[...]
> Very nice.

Good.

> 1. Is it possible to get rid of the task bar and embed it in the panel
> or as a pop-up menu of some sort? This is more than auto-hide.

Yes, check the xfce goodies page, there is a panel plugin for that.

> 2. How do I go about changing the colour of the panel from its default grey?

It's follows the gtk theme just like any other gtk application, just use
another theme from the ui setting dialog ("xfce-setting-show ui")...

> A couple of questions about functionality, while on the subject:
> 1. On Xfce-3.8 I could right click on the desktop and a context menu
> would open allowing me to access KDE apps via a menu and (some) Gnome
> apps. That ability seems to have been phased out or did I not configure
> something correctly to get those options in the context menu?

It's mapped to the right button, but it's mostly the same
functionnality.

> 2. Again with the old 3.8 there was the settings option to set the
> default for where one wanted the windows to open at, which was quite
> specific I recall. Now when opening a new app window, it will quite
> regularly open at the bottom of the screen underneath the panel.

You can play with pargins to avoid that, but xfwm4 computes the place so
that it minimize overlap between windows.

>  All the best

Thanks :)

> Andy

Cheers,