Backdrop Settings Manager is not working

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Sun Jul 18 10:04:14 CEST 2004

Hello Brian,

* Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> [17-07-04 13:06]:
> all right...  debian does some things a little differently, so i may be
> off here.  the plugin for the backdrop settings dialog should be located
> at $prefix/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins/backdrop_settings.so, where $prefix may
> be /usr, /usr/local, etc.  check to see if that file is present.  if
> not, your packages are broken - try reinstalling it.  otherwise you
> should take it up with the package maintainer.  if it _is_ present, i
> really have no idea why it isn't loading, as xfce-mcs-manager should
> have printed out something useful if it tried to load it and failed.

the file is in path: /usr/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins
And the permissions are ok:
 44 -rw-r--r--  1 root root  43600 2004-07-05 01:06 backdrop_settings.so

I have no idea, what is wrong, but i will reinstall the packages.maybe
this will help.

Ok, i reinstalled now all packages, including xf, i think this should
catch a packages for xfce.

Than i have a look into my .xession-errors and i found only this lines:
---cut---
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Identity added: /home/idefix/.ssh/id_dsa (/home/idefix/.ssh/id_dsa)
** Message: init complete.
* Rescanning & saving cached menus...
** Message: xfdesktop: running without session manager
** Message: xfwm4: Session Manager wird nicht genutzt
** Message: xfwm4: Anzahl der virtuellen Desktops nicht gesetzt.
Benutze default Einstellungen: 4
* Saving XFdesktop4 menu to menu2.xml...done
aterm: can't load font "font1"
---cut---

This look good to me. Is this maybe a problem with the startup (maybe
wrong startpositions of the programms:
---cut----
# ---- language-env DON'T MODIFY THIS LINE!
# set LANG
LANG=de_DE at euro
export LANG
# ---- language-env end DON'T MODIFY THIS LINE!
xrdb < $HOME/.Xresources
ssh-add
xfce-mcs-manager
(sleep 10 && xterm -e "backup_to_server") &
/usr/bin/esd &
gaim &
/usr/bin/gkrellm &
xscreensaver -no-splash &
xmodmap .xmodmaprc
(sleep 5 && xmms -p )&
/home/idefix/.xfce4/build_menu_automatically&
hotkeys -t keysonic -Z
xfwm4 &
devilspie&
/usr/bin/xfdesktop