Panel/Taskbar idea: embarrassingly basic newbie question

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Sun Jul 18 09:40:22 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 15:51, Marv Boyes wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > if you want the panel and taskbar combined, why not use the taskbar
> > plugin for the panel and ditch the taskbar entirely?  i believe it's on
> > the xfce-goodies page.
> >
> >    -brian
> >

> This looks exactly like what I've been wanting for my own setup. My
> trouble is that I've never been able to successfully compile and install
> anything (xfce-related or otherwise) from source on my Mandrake 9.2
> machine.
>
> I almost hate to have to ask-- but can anyone tell me _where_ I ought to
> unpack this tarball before trying to compile and install it?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>

> Marv

Having lived in the Mandrake world for the past two years, I know the
feeling; I've had to manually upgrade my automake, autoconf, make,
aclocal and the likes in order to compile progs properly; now that I'm
on 10.0 OE it's a bit easier; but overall, what I do is I unpack and
compile things under the /usr/src directory and then always use the
settings:

./configure --prefix=/usr

as my options for compiling (and always do all my setups via being
root).

Things seem to work better that way...dunno - could be just me...or my
imaginary self...

stephen kuhn - proprietor