xfstart mentioned in the wish list...

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Mon Jul 12 23:02:16 CEST 2004

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> David Snyder wrote:
>
>> Browsing the xfce website, I took a look at the 'Wish List'.  One item
>> was mentioned which caught my attention -- the "xfstart" request in
>> the "new modules" section.  The reason this caught my attention is
>> because I've wanted to automate the startup of applications on my Xfce
>> desktop.  For example, start firefox on desktops 2,3, and 4, xmms on
>> desktop 4, etc.  The info. about setting application startup in the
>> 'Desktop/Autostart' file is useful, however, the applications are
>> dumped on the currently viewed desktop -- and I've got to manually
>> move them around (a rather tedious task).  I thought about poking
>> around the Xfce code to see about adding the functionality to start up
>> applications on a specified desktop.  However, it looks like someone's
>> already turned their attention to this.  So, *is* there a xfstart
>> app?  Thanx.
>

> I've started work on this some time ago, but delayed it to work on more
> important tasks first. I could finish it for 4.2, tho I'm still unsure
> if this is of any use. The case you describe should be perfectly handled
> by session management (the session manager will restart the app in its
> previous state and the window manager will place the window on the
> correct workspace). Sadly, both apps mentioned above (xmms and mozilla)
> are broken in terms of session management and I don't see any good
> chance that any of them will be fixed in the near future.

And given the existence of multitudes of other similarly "broken" apps,
this argues for the usefulness of a simple app to say "start app A on
desktop X".  Such an app would be useful in autostart scripts.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA