bad fonts since OS upgrade

Sergey Manucharyan serge at bonbon.net
Thu Jul 8 19:42:57 CEST 2004

I've found that the recent CVS version of
<xfce-dir>/etc/xfce4/xinitrc contains a smart solution
used ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources files instead of
"mandatory" overriding of user's settings:

# create temp file for X resources
XRESOURCES=`mktemp /tmp/xrdb.XXXXXX`

# Has to go prior to merging Xft.xrdb, as its the "Defaults"
file test -r $HOME/.Xdefaults && cat $HOME/.Xdefaults >>
$XRESOURCES

# Check if the user wants to override the above defaults
(set by# mcs ui plugin)
if test -r $XFCE4HOME/Xft.xrdb; then
	cat $XFCE4HOME/Xft.xrdb >> $XRESOURCES
else
	# Those are fallback settings, use the ui plugin to change
it	# or add your overrides to ~/.Xresources
	# Xft DPI: 96
	# Xft.hintstyle: hintnone/hintslight/hintmedium/hintfull
	# Xft hinting: 1/0
cat >> $XRESOURCES << EOF
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
EOF
fi

# ~/.Xresources contains overrides to the above
test -r $HOME/.Xresources && cat $HOME/.Xresources >>
$XRESOURCES

# load all X resources
xrdb -nocpp -merge $XRESOURCES
rm -f $XRESOURCES