Can xfce4 iconize to the desktop

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 1 17:48:35 CEST 2004

as i've pointed out on this list before:
http://spuriousinterrupt.org/xfce4/#faq
granted, this hasn't specifically answered the minimised-apps question
until i just added it now, but the general statement about icons should
have been enough of an answer.

i personally am not a big fan of having minimised apps turn into regular
desktop icons.  xfdesktop 4.4 will probably have some kind of iconbox
embedded into the desktop which you can resize, move around, etc., but
the icons will auto-place themselves in rows/columns.  actually, now
that i think about it, it should be possible to be a little bit more
general so you can essentially set the iconbox to the screen size.  i
suppose the ability to move them around isn't too much to ask.

one thing to remember: while i acknowledge xfce's roots, xfce4 is not a
CDE clone.  it has some CDE-ish features, but, to be perfectly honest, i
don't like CDE all that much, and i don't plan on turning xfdesktop into
a clone of CDE's desktop.  if your users require a CDE-like environment,
perhaps xfce3 might be more suitable.

just a quick response from something the original poster said, because
it bugs me:

> 1. active applications can be iconized to the desktop, remembering
> where they belong
> (this is CDE.  If your windowmanager can't do this, how are you
> similar to CDE?)

huh?  i hardly see this as "CDE's defining feature".  one thing that
makes xfce CDE-like is the panel, with its category/drawers model.
being "similar" to something doesn't mean you do everything the same
way.

	-brian