Can xfce4 iconize to the desktop

Christopher christopher.carroll at birch.net
Thu Jul 1 06:03:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 22:09, Nepple, Bruce wrote:
> I currently use CDE, and was told that XFCE was similar.
>
> >From http://xwinman.org/xfce.html
> XFce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX platforms.
> It is similar to the commercial CDE, and is now based on the GTK+ toolkit
>
> My requirements for a desktop/windowmanager are simple (but, it seems, unpopular):
>
> 1. active applications can be iconized to the desktop, remembering where they belong
> (this is CDE.  If your windowmanager can't do this, how are you similar to CDE?)

Xfce iconifies to either the taskbar or the icon box.  You could run Rox
pinboard in addition to Xfce (instead of Xfdesktop) and get icons on the
desktop.  However, the icons don't remember their postions.

> 2.  Multiple workspaces

yes

> 3.  right click or some other simple application startup method

Do you mean a right click pop-up menu?  Yes.  You can also launch apps
from the panel.  (If you use rox-pinboard you would lose the pop-up menu
- but there are alternative root menus you could use to replace it.)

<snip>