Can xfce4 iconize to the desktop

Nepple, Bruce bnepple at networkelements.com
Thu Jul 1 05:09:51 CEST 2004

I currently use CDE, and was told that XFCE was similar.

>From http://xwinman.org/xfce.html
XFce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX platforms.
It is similar to the commercial CDE, and is now based on the GTK+ toolkit

My requirements for a desktop/windowmanager are simple (but, it seems, unpopular):

1. active applications can be iconized to the desktop, remembering where they belong
(this is CDE.  If your windowmanager can't do this, how are you similar to CDE?)

2.  Multiple workspaces

3.  right click or some other simple application startup method

Shading doesn't cut it, although it would be neat to have shading & icons.

I typically have 8 or 10 terminals with 30 to 40 edit sessions in a single workspace,
and they are organized by desktop position.  It is very cluttered, as is my real desk.
I may have up to 10 active workspaces of similar complexity.

(What use is a desktop if you can't put anything on it :)? )

Anyway, can xfce4 be forced to work that way (iconize to desktop).  I disabled the
taskbar and got no icons whatsoever.

BTW,  If you know what other window/desktop manager might work for me, please let me know.
(maybe CTWM?).  I just have to get away from our friggen solaris antique iron.

Thanks,

Bruce