A Wacky Idea...

Marv Boyes marvboyes at att.net
Thu Jul 1 02:54:14 CEST 2004

Maybe it's lunacy. It makes some sense to me, but others may not think
so. At any rate, it's something I've never really seen before: windows
that shade SIDEWAYS.

Okay, so I've taken a little bit of inspiration from the nearly-edge-on
views I've seen in screenshots of Sun's Looking Glass. There's no way my
atticware would be able to handle something on that order; and honestly,
I just don't need that kind of eye-candy. I'm just wondering about
having windows roll to the side the same way they presently do to the
top, but with the titlebar vertically rotated.

Believe it or not, I would personally find this extremely useful, though
it's difficult to explain why to anyone who hasn't seen the way I work.
Even with four desktops, I can fill a workspace pretty quickly. All I
can offer in terms of justification for the proposal is that I'm
constantly telling myself, "I sure wish I could just roll that sideways..."

I fully understand the argument that there are ample and adequate
window-management tools already at my disposal. I also freely
acknowledge that I haven't the vaguest idea of what kinds of obstacles
might stand in the way of someone trying to develop such a thing, if
it's even remotely feasible. I just had this strange notion, and you're
a pretty bright bunch here, so I thought I've give it a spin.

So, what do you think? Would such a thing be possible, or even desirable
to anyone but me? Is there support for anything like this in the
existing development tools? Or am I just completely whacked?

Thanks for reading,
Marv
Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like
Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's
leisure time to Folding at Home.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/