the CLAW update

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Jan 26 18:53:40 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 11:15, Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> PS: question to the list: why can't a Python-related app be included in
> the main xfce distribution? Is it a patent issue of some kind, or more
> of a philosophical one?

Several reasons:

1) People come and go. By accepting any language in the base packages,
we shall not be able to maintain the apps of those who leave.
2) By using the same language and libs, we ensure that all apps share
the same roots
3) I personnaly find Python hard to install and ran into nightmares
trying to upgrade Python and pygtk, among others.
4) I usually prefer compiled code.

Cheers,
--
 - Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org - http://www.xfce.org -